Why I am a LifeSaver

 No, today isn't World Blood Donor day; that's June 14th. It's blogtober, so anything goes. I first wrote this for a competition while in school. Obviously it's been updated as that was years ago (2016 to be exact). Blood donation is always relevant; people will always need an extra pint or two, so here goes. 

Blogtober post 6:

I learned about blood donation from my Mum; she was a donor until surgery stopped her. Back in the day, I remember Pepsi used to organize these blood donation exercises where she’d go donate, and she’d take me along. When I was old enough to understand what it was, I was intrigued by the whole process of laying down, getting a needle stuck into your arm so your blood will be drawn out, and I could not wait till I was old enough to donate. I definitely did not factor in the pain bit, though.

Source: istockphoto.com

That was how it started for me.

My first attempt to donate blood was when I was sixteen and in secondary school. I got ‘bounced’ because the age limit was seventeen, and no one told me until after my blood level had been checked. I am going on twenty-five now and so far I have donated four or five times. I can’t remember exactly because charley, the bounces are plenty. I’ve been bounced just as many times because my blood level was low, and once because I was below the minimum weight (it’s 50kg and I was 49).

I’ll admit, initially my main reason for wanting to donate was just to prove to my friends (the scaredy-cats) that I was tough. That changed quite fast, though. Why, you ask. 1, I'm not that tough. 2, I grew up. I came to the realization that blood is a valuable gift, Blood is Life. It is an important component of our body and no one can live without it. Lots of people die from loss of blood on a daily basis.

The thought that my one pint of blood could help save a live is what pushes me past the slight pain of the needle as it pierces my skin and makes its way to my vein. You never get used to the needle, but that is only for a very short while. 

Source: medium.com

Maybe I can’t go to public schools and offer to give them extra tuition on a subject. Maybe I can’t go to HelpAge and look after the aged. Maybe I don’t have money to give to the needy. But this one thing I can do, one way I give to society. This is my service to humanity, in the hope that someone gets better because I gave. And it feels great! Giving always makes us feel better, right? Especially if it comes from our heart. But knowing that someone may have gotten a second chance at life because you gave your blood… what beats that feeling?

Get this: In March this year, one Mr Delphinus Nordor retired from donating blood at the age of 65 after voluntarily donating blood 80 times since 1981. 80 times oo! That’s twice a year on average for the past 39 years, since he was twenty-six.  How amazing is that?

Mr Delphinus Nordor during his final blood donation 
Source: nbsghan.org
Occasionally, I broach the subject with my friends and ask their thoughts on it. Sometimes knowing that a friend is doing something makes it easier for us to get involved as well. One benefit of donating blood is that as a donor, if I ever need blood at some point in my life (or a relative does), I do not have to pay for processing of the blood as per the number of times I have donated. So it is not just me that benefits but my family as well.


After all is said though, I donate blood is because I love to. I’m not quite sure where this love came from but my Mum may have something to do with it. And even though I have been rejected many times already it isn’t going to stop me from donating again. In fact, there was an exercise at my church just this past Sunday, 4th October and guess what? Yes, I got bounced again. The minimum blood level a person should have to enable them donate is 12 pints. This time, I was so close (11.9 pints)! Oh yes, it has been worse.

Source:nbsghana.org


But donating blood for me will not stop unless some health condition prevents me from donating. It isn’t every day I get to be a superhero, so when I get the chance, I take it. If you are a donor, what’s your motivation? If you haven’t donated blood yet, what’s your reason? I hope this encourages you. 
Y'all better get on board. 

My name is Phoebe and I am a LifeSaver for life.

(Read all you need to know about voluntary blood donation here.)

Comments

  1. Pheebs let me lend you 2kgs of my weight😴😴
    Well I have needle phobia and amazingly every time the blood donation team comes around I'm dealing with a cold or cough (automatic bounce)
    Maybe next time, I'll feel brave enough to get the needle into my armπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ’™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now, I can hold my own in the weight category, thank you very much. Dave, are you sure these disqualifications aren't in your head? Sending you strength for next time.

      Delete
    2. 😒😒
      Maybe its all in my head

      Delete
  2. I don't like the hospital, needles or anything that comes with it. But this piece is good. I'd try out next year. ✌🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... Please do, you'll be glad you did. You could check out the mobile stations when you hear of any event, rather than go to the hospital. You could also go with someone to give you moral support. More vim!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'Nashing or Nah?

Attraction: Is it Enough?

Do I Really Know You?