A New Beginning

“Most of life's actions are within our reach, but decisions take willpower.”
-Robert McKee 


I started writing again. And it feels really good. After two years (quite the break), I finally posted something. Two whole years. You don't have to say it, I know that's a really long time. Not that the entire time I didn't write anything at all. I wrote a few things that I either didn't finish or didn’t post because I didn't think were good enough. And then my hard drive crashed and crushed all my stuff along with it (no, I did not have a backup), including my will to put pen to paper within that period.

Fine, the first year I was busy with final year and project work, the second I was so engrossed in my service to the nation and loving every second of it. Not that it's a good excuse, because I had time to do other things. While I found the time to do other things than writing, those who wanted to write did exactly that.

People who cared asked. I kept complaining about how I lacked inspiration and had a terrible case of writers' block. Meanwhile, the whole time, I kept reading stuff that other people wrote, appreciating their genius and telling myself I'm gonna start writing again soon. One of these days. I always made sure to take a book and pen along with me wherever I went just in case I wrote down something when I had the opportunity. Every time I did, I kept putting it off. Sometimes I wrote ideas down to develop later and that was it. I knew I was going to get to it someday, I just wasn't sure when.

I had a conversation the other day with a friend about my dead blog (that would be this very one) and that got me thinking about actually writing something instead of thinking of about writing something. That and the constant of other people's improving creativity was what really got me to this point.

And I know that now, they are much better than they were two years ago. Because guess what, the world wasn't waiting for me. Do I regret staying away for so long? Yes, I do and I am not proud of myself. But I'm excited to be back now and that's all that matters.

Guess what I realised as I started to write again. I realised that it's not  all about me. It's not about how great writing makes me feel or the purpose it gives me. It's not about me; it's about you, the reader. It's about setting the agenda in people's minds, giving them something to think and talk about. It's about drawing the minds of people to things they've always seen and already know, but haven't really seen and don't really know. It's about the smile that slowly spreads on their face, the laugh that makes others wonder, because of something they read that they can identify with. It's about the motivation of souls… the upliftment of spirits. It's about putting into words the things that people have thought of but couldn't name.

Same goes for you. Everyone has something they do that makes them feel good, like a craft. It keeps you busy and gives you a sense of purpose. But it's not about you. It's about the impact it has on other people that makes them better, for the betterment of humanity as a whole. And every minute you waste not doing what you love that makes you happy (because not everything we love makes us happy), other people are moving. The world isn't going to wait for you so better catch up or left behind.

As much as I enjoy writing, I'll admit it can be hard. And it can be frustrating when your mind goes blank. Which is why it's good to take a break sometimes (one unlike mine); it refreshes the mind and readies it for new ideas. Just not one so long that in the end it draws you back and makes you lazy, rather than propel you forward.

So whenever I think of taking another break like this, I will remind myself that it's not about me, it's about you, my lovely, lovely reader. And I will get my ass up and do the needful. For both of us.




This is just an extended welcome back to all my lovely readers. To the old, you're truly gold. And to the new who've come to say hi, I hope you stay. 


May September not withold her goodness from us, and in her may we who are still searching find ourselves. Happy New Month.


Love, 


Pheebs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Nashing or Nah?

Attraction: Is it Enough?

Do I Really Know You?