Dear Brain

This is one  written with a dear friend of mine, Master Kwbena Donkor , a fellow writer and a smart young man. I do hope you like it..

Dear Brain,
You were right and I'm sorry.
In my not so long life my experiences have taught me that the heart is naive. It trusts so easily and gets broken so often. The heart's only job is to pump blood not take life-altering decisions. Love is not a matter of the heart but of the brain. Love is a choice not a feeling. I guess I learnt that too late.

Dear Brain,
I blame you for all the stupid mistakes I make. Okay, fine, maybe not all and maybe only a little bit. Not all because you do prompt me. Sometimes.
But your prompting must be very feeble if I almost always end up following the heart. And I almost always come back crying and hurt,
Presenting you with another opportunity to give me that smug smile smile and the cliche 'I told you so'.

But Brain,
You aren't really that smart, you know. It's just that you are more removed and detached when it comes to sentiments, so you can see clearly in these situations.
The heart only fails when its  judgement gets clouded in the wake of passion.
Where love and likeness and hatred and anger and joy and sadness come to play
Where grief and sorrow and bitterness and tenderness and kindness lay.
So in actuality, your smartness only lies in your inhumanity and your inability to feel.
But maybe that's a good thing seeing that that's when you're in your best element. It wouldn't do to have two romantics in one body, would it?

I have a question for you, dear Brain.
When it comes to ego and pride who takes responsibility?
Who's fault is it that I lose people important to me I try to hold on to dignity? Who's to blame that I'm stripped of dignity even when holding on to pride?
Tell me, Brain, is it you or the heart?

Dear Brain
The heart never learns, not really. At least not from mistakes. The heart only learns about emotions and how to express or hide them and when. That's what the heart needs to thrive. Blood alone is not enough.
But you... You're much wiser.
I know that, yes.
But feeling is much sweeter to do than thinking.
When we feel, actions come easily.
Like the hurtful words that follows anger,or the warmness we radiate as a result of being happy; we almost can't hold it. ALMOST.
The result isn't always pleasant or fixable.
Which is why it's important I take your advice more  seriously.
If you'll be patient, dear Brain, and coach me into submission.
And not join me in calling myself a fool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Nashing or Nah?

Attraction: Is it Enough?

Do I Really Know You?