Me and the Police

It was about 7.30 a.m  and I was cruising down the street that passes in front of Accra Breweries and leading to Adabraka with my dad, I looked at everything and all my eyes could see. We were stopped by the one-legged triple-eyed green man and on the pedestrian walk I spotted a girl, about thirteen, standing staring wide-eyed at something when she should have been crossing the road. So I turned to the other side to see what caught her attention and mine was caught too.

Whether it was fortunate or not I cannot tell, but I turned just in time to see a motorist who had apparently been grabbed by a traffic policemen slip the officer something. Now, I didn't see what it was but I know it definitely wasn't the keys to his motorcycle. I was still staring  and wondering if my thoughts were right when the one-legged triple eye made us go.
If what I'm thinking is right then this police man has indeed started the day well.

So the girl, I'm sure, waited for the next red light. And as we drove off my mind was drawn back to a similar incident when I was in high school. I know you want to know so I'll tell you about it. 

You know how we treat work ethics as part of our syllabus in social studies?
Well, I got a free ride from my social studies teacher from school  to home one day for answering a question correct (he drove a taxi). He did load passengers, though. During the thirty-minute drive we managed to get stopped by a policeman for over speeding. The policeman took the opportunity to demand for his license and any other thing they ask for. Now, my teacher picked up all his paperwork as well as a few notes and got out of the car to speak privately with the policeman. I was shocked and appalled at the same time.

Thankfully, there were two of us students in the taxi so although I intended to question him, the other girl beat me to it, not allowing him to settle before hitting him
Girl: Sir why did you do that?
Sir:  Oh those people? Don't mind them. Even when everything is fine they still will find means to take your money.
Me:  But sir, you were the one who took out money. How can you blame him?
Sir: It's because I'm in hurry. He would have delayed me
Me: Have you forgotten what you teach us in class?
Sir(getting annoyed): I've explained why, take it or leave it. Besides, who are you to question me?

The girl and I looked knowingly at each other. That kept us silent and brooding for the rest of the ride. I had a lot of questions in my head and I'm sure the other girl did, too. But we sure weren't getting answers from him. Now we could have spread it(I did, a little) but it made no difference since no one was bold enough to go to him.

And very recently,on the streets of Accra, I was going someplace for the first time and wasn't sure about the direction. There's always been noise about how the police are our friends so when I spotted one, I walked up to him. What are friends for? He was talking to two other men and I stood back to wait my turn. The first left; the second had his paperwork being looked at. He noticed me just then and alerted the policeman, who was nice in asking me to give him a minute.

I've realized how much could be happening in scenes like these so I was paying close attention. Apparently there was something wrong with the second man's papers(I assumed he was a driver). When the police pointed it out, the man pointed to policeman's hand which held money, a gentle reminder, I suppose. The officer opened the crumpled notes in a manner of counting.

Maybe the money was too little, maybe there was a 'stander-by', maybe he never intended to take the money. Anyway, for whatever reason he gave the money back to the man, grumbling and turned to address me afterward. Too bad I couldn't hear what he said, but at least I'd seen. When I was leaving though, the man was still there; he even helped in directing me. I'll leave your mind to wonder, like mine did, on what happened next.

Did I say one story? Well, I gave you two. I know, I'm that nice 😊.

Seriously, though, people wouldn't be so bold about bribing officials if officials weren't open to bribery, and vice versa. I know there are some good, honest ones out there but it's mostly the bad nuts we spot. There's hope, though. We can't stop hoping; it's the only thing we've got.

So the grammar in the title may be wrong but I'm making use of poetic license; sounds better in my ears. Ha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Nashing or Nah?

Attraction: Is it Enough?

Do I Really Know You?